It happens to the best of us…..the winter blubber, festive fat fest, chocolate addiction, whatever the reason most of us have experienced gaining those extra Kg’s that makes us feel sluggish and gross.
I am going to share with you my plan of action. In a nutshell I take out the bad stuff, put in the good and up the activity…seems simple right, that’s because IT IS!! There is no magic here its just the right information and the big key here is taking responsibility. When you choose to take control it is empowering, so stop cheating yourself and make the decision to get yourself back to where you look and feel your best.
- NO Dairy/ Refined Sugar /Gluten/ Coffee /Alcohol /Processed or Packaged Foods/Trans Fats and Grain’s.
- limit high carb and starchy vegetables (e.g. potatoes, corn, pumpkin, sweet potato, carrots )
- limit fruits high in sugar (melons, bananas, grapes, mangoes, pineapple, oranges & all dried fruit)
- increase RAW plant foods (loads of nourishing enzyme rich salads)
- increase green vegetables especially dark green leafy (broccoli, kale, spinach, dandelion etc)
- eat fruits only in the morning on an empty stomach (usually I have berries in my breakfast smoothie)
- ensure to drink at least 1 vegetable juice a day (leafy greens, celery, cucumber, ginger, lemon add beetroot every 2nd day)
- ensure to get good omega fatty acids especially omega 3′s (I supplement with nautic naturals cod liver oil and eat wild salmon 2-3 times per week. Additionally I include a whole foods diet of nuts, seeds, avocado and coconuts) For so many years we were told that eating fat would make us fat, that is partially wrong. We need to eat fat to burn fat! An adequate consumption of healthy fats play a crucial role in maintaining the health of your precious organs. Good fats help the body to absorb the fat-soluble vitamins, vitamins A, D, E and K. I hope you can begin to see that the ‘fat free’ fad took away a much-needed food, fuel and nourishment source from us. What is so sad is that ‘fat free’ mostly meant that the fat was replaced with refined sugars. Please don’t be scared of good fats.
- Omit all vegetable and sunflower oils. These yellow oils you see in the supermarket cause oxidative stress. They are rancid and yuck get rid of them. Only cook with a good quality organic extra virgin coconut or macadamia oil, as they have a higher smoke point unlike olive oil.
- plan and prepare meals, this is to avoid getting stuck in a bind and succumbing to junk food. There are no excuses!
- drink approx. 2 litres of water a day, water is key in aiding weight loss and carrying out all the bodily functions including flushing out toxins.
- train 4-6 days a week (mix it up yoga,interval training, spin, boxing, weights, walking etc)
- rest at least 1 day a week, and when I say rest I mean it!! I have seen this time and time again when people think they have to push themselves to train every day to get the results quicker it’s NOT true. Your body needs rest especially when you are training hard in order to repair the cells, rid the toxins and create the lean muscle you want. Be careful not to over train, you will exhaust your adrenals.
- get adequate sleep 7-8hrs is ideal, if you aren’t getting enough sleep YOU WILL NOT LOSE WEIGHT.
- drink lemon/ginger/cayenne water first thing in the morning
- make sure you stop eating at least 2hrs (ideally 3-4hrs) before bedtime. I like to give myself a 12 hour fast over night
- after dinner I try to make the kitchen a no go zone to avoid the habit of mindless snacking on sweet nothings. I usually make my chamomile tea and turn off the lights (weird psychological trick I was taught. It makes your brain think its closed ….no harm in trying it, plus it saves energy)
- stop thinking about calories and start thinking about nutritional value. Ask yourself every time you go to put something in your mouth, “is this going to nourish my body or harm it?”
- drink good quality green tea only if you know you are not suffering adrenal fatigue as it does contain caffeine
- make sure you are eating enough and regularly. Think SUPER smoothies BOUNTIFUL salads and BIG bowls of the veggie soup. Starving yourself will only lead to the old YO-YO weight loss weight gain situation. I want to keep your metabolism up not slow it down as we are trying to get your body working like a machine . Food goes in poop goes out!
- reduce and manage stress. I cannot not STRESS this enough (excuse the pun) Stress hormones when produced consistently and over extended periods of time can reek havoc in your body. Let me give you a quick run down of the stress hormones. Adrenalin is your short term stress hormone. It is the one produced when you get a fright. When activated the blood supply to your digestive system is diverted away from the digestive organs and redirected to the peripheries (arms & legs). Glucose is the dumped into the blood stream and blood sugar subsequently shoots up. This response is to get us out of danger but sadly our fast passed modern day lives are driving this cascade all the time. Cortisol is the long-term stress hormone and these levels fluctuate throughout the day. Cortisol should be high in the morning which helps you bounce out of bed and low at around 6pm. When you are stressed and these hormones are elevated above optimal, other changes in body chemistry begin to unfold. There is a common link between high stress hormones and metabolic syndrome (elevated blood sugar, elevated blood pressure, elevated blood cholesterol and insulin resistance). This is a big warning that type 2 diabetes is knocking on your door.
- Embrace relaxation techniques: yoga/méditation/deep breathing. Trust me it will do wonders for your weight loss.
Also I want you to remember that being healthy inside is what creates long-lasting beauty and gives you radiant skin and clear sparkling eyes, being rail thin is NOT a the deciding factor by any means. Embrace the shape you have been given and enhance your best assets don’t force yourself to be a size 0. If you’re a size 10 you will only end up in a hateful relationship with your body and that’s no fun at all!
Love yourself unconditionally xxx